# The Golden Shower- Kani Konna Poovu & Saleem

 

The Kani Konna Poovu or the  Golden Shower flowers  or  the Cassia Fistula (scientific name) blooms as the time for Kerala’s harvest festival, Vishu approaches, which falls on April 14 every year.  It is observed as the New Year falling on the Vernal Equinox. The Kani Konna Poovu is popularly used as the part of the “Vishukkani”, the ritual first thing seen on Vishu . The Kani Konna Poovu is also Kerala’s state flower.

So, at The Health Village in Aluva, Kerala, Valsa & the other staff enthusiastically arranged for the Vishukkani to be kept in the office. I looked at the flower laden Golden Shower tree and at once decided to keep the Vishukkani in my room.

After taking support of the staff I managed almost all the needed articles. The only thing left was the Kani Konna Poovu (the Golden Shower flowers).

As I sat at the bench overlooking the River Periyar  wondering as to how I would get the Kani Konna Poovu...That was when out of no where Saleem-the neighbourhood boy whom I had met just two days back ,came to me and asked "Chechi,Konna Poovu vende?" ( Sister, don't you want the Konna flowers) 

I was elated by his offer. Soon, he climbed up the tree and here I had the Kani Konna Poovu in hand. Krishna who is worshipped on this day was thus placed for the Kani.

                   

The Malayalam word "Kani" literally means "that which is seen first", so "Vishukkani" means "that which is seen first on Vishu". The traditional belief is that one's future is a function of what one experiences, that the new year will be better if one views auspicious joyful things as the first thing on Vishu.

I woke up at dawn and after a bath lit the lamp and had my Vishukkani. I also went to the The Health Village Office and had the Vishukkani there.Since I am away from family, I sent the image of my Vishukkani to all my near & dear ones.

                        

Many many thanks to Saleem for the support for the Kani Konna Poovu without which my Vishukanni would not have been possible. Once again The Magic of Gratitude extended.

The Golden Shower- Kani Konna Poovu & Saleem are the highlights of this year's Vishu.

Comments

  1. Its testimony to the fact that all religions & faiths can coexist helping each other.. Kerala showing the way..Glad that a Saleem or Valsa are just names & are making each other smile in some way. Just hope the harmony in the state remains as is!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Appreciate your genuine views .Thank you so much !

Popular posts from this blog

"Wanderlust and Camaraderie: Unleashing Empowerment Through Travel"

The woman that I am