# Down the Memory Lane with Orange Candies, Easy Chair & Jackfruit Leaf Spoon

As I sit in the ancestral house made by Dadaji and  inherited by my  mother ,I can re-live many fond memories. So, there is a very old traditional Easy Chair kept in the corner of the room where I sit to work. I was always fascinated by this traditional looking thing. One can sit, sleep, dream  on it so comfortably.

          

I vividly remember how Dadaji would sit  all day long reading and  dozing on this old but amazingly comfortable Easy Chair  after he retiredBesides the easy chair the other not to miss items possessed by Dadaji were the latest edition of the magazine-India Today ,a hand held magnifying lens and the tempting orange candies

As kids we, his grandchildren would always eye all his possessions which he was very possessive about. Later his great grand children too had the same desires like us.

 

Dadaji was a very simple human being with minimal expectations from any of his family members. He lived almost to complete his century. The very soft spoken and an affectionate grand old man had one more peculiar characteristic which I appreciate till date. He was a father to three daughters and a son and he always treated his daughter in law as his fifth child allowing her all privileges extended to his four children. Today the loving siblings stay together in the same compound where the ancestral house stands, bound by the bond of love strengthened by Dadaji & Dadima.

Dadaji was a leading lawyer of his times. He was fond of reading .There was a teak wood  bookshelf full of books in his living room. From there he gifted me his copy of Complete works of Shakespeare when he realized I was Post Graduating in English, a prized possession to me which I still preserve .

Today as I sit in the ancestral house made by him, I recall few very beautiful values that he possessed. We as grand children learnt not to waste a single grain of rice  and other food served to us. He ate his lunch on a plantain leaf and it would be without any wastage on it. Every night the rice porridge 'Kanji' was served in a white porcelain plate and he used a  twisted jackfruit leaf as his spoon.

 


Dadaji was a proud father of his children who took care of him until the last breath that he took in his own house. His positive vibes can be felt everywhere till date. My mother and I have the privilege of taking birth in this beautiful house.   

Magic of Gratitude sprinkled generously as I walked  DOWN THE MEMORY LANE with Orange Candies, Easy Chair & Jackfruit Leaf Spoon....the memories of which now we pass it down to the generation next....

Comments

  1. Wonderful descriptions... it took me to 50 years back to my ancestral house with similar features ... and the number of kanjis I had with jackfruit tree leaf spoons 😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rekha well expressed, only if you hv experienced can u express so lucidly. An ancestral home is a priced possession for generations. And if maintained well our elders continue to live on blessing their lineage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vividly described, could picturise it so well♥️

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was living the moment until the text ended...adoring❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one lovely piece of writing and I am sure all those connected with Dadaji would have smiled and gone down the memory lane like you....keep writing Rekha ..for all of us to enjoy 💯

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well written Rekhaa, i am lucky to be that daughter in law you wrote about and feel happy about it... Keep writing ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully worded. I feel as if everything is happening in front of my eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Appreciate your genuine views .Thank you so much !

Popular posts from this blog

# The Golden Shower- Kani Konna Poovu & Saleem

"Wanderlust and Camaraderie: Unleashing Empowerment Through Travel"

The woman that I am